Supplementary benefits in the canton of Vaud for families and bridge pensions
Supplementary benefits are provided by the canton of Vaud to give financial assistance to families unable to support themselves or to persons who lose their entitlement to unemployment benefits two years prior to their entitlement to an OASI pension.
These benefits are applicable only if you work in the canton of Vaud. Contributions are collected by our Compensation Fund while the benefits are paid out by the Compensation Fund Office of the canton of Vaud.
Supplementary benefits for families (SB Fam)
Supplementary benefits for families include the following: an annual additional benefit for families (paid monthly); the reimbursement of justified care costs; and the reimbursement of medical expenses recognised by the federal law governing the OASI/DI supplementary benefits. To be entitled to these benefits, you must fulfil the following conditions:
- have been domiciled in the canton of Vaud for at least three years
- have a residence permit that is valid or under renewal
- live in the same household as children under the age of 16 years
- be part of a family whose recognised expenses are greater than relevant income, based on statutory norms.
Supplementary bridge-pension benefits
If you no longer qualify for unemployment benefits, the supplementary bridge-pension benefits will enable you to reach OASI retirement age without having to resort to social aid or early retirement. They consist of annual cash benefits and reimbursement of justified medical expenses. To be entitled to these benefits, you must fulfil the following conditions:
- have been domiciled in the canton of Vaud for at least 3 years
- have reached early retirement age, which is 62 years for women and 63 for men
- have exhausted your unemployment benefits or not qualify for such benefits
- meet the conditions for obtaining income support, except for wealth norms which come under supplementary benefits to the OASI/DI
- not be in receipt of an OASI early-retirement pension.
You are not entitled to these benefits if you take early OASI and LOB retirement pensions and claim supplementary benefits to the OASI benefit.